Some labs use Synology Storage appliances (e.g. to store data from instruments). Synology can backed up to Economy File.
Installing Synology Cloud Sync
- Open the Synology NAS web interface and login as an Administrator
- Open Package Center
- Install Cloud Sync
Configuring Synology Cloud Sync
- Open “Cloud Sync” and click the + to add a new connection
- Choose OpenStack Swift as the Provider
- Enter in the values for your connection to Economy File:
Identity Service Endpoint: https://tin.fhcrc.org/auth/1.0
Identity Service Version: 1.0
API Key: (not the key) Create a new container named "synology_backup" (or similar desciptive name --- this is the equivalent of a folder)
Setup a syncing task:
- Name the connection
- Choose the local path (on the Synology Appliance)
- Choose the remote path in Economy file (do not select the root folder as it will sync the entire economy file account preventing you from adding new tasks)
- Select the sync direction: Choose “Upload local changes only”, this is a backup
- Make sure encryption is unchecked. You don’t need encryption because the data is already encrypted in the storage system which is local in a hutch data center and not in the cloud. If you decide to use encryption, make sure you do not lose the key or your data will be lost forever as IT does not have any backdoor to get your data back if you use this type of encryption.
- Confirm your settings, click Apply and OK on congratulations message.
Updated: March 19, 2020Edit this Page via GitHub Comment by Filing an Issue Have Questions? Ask them here.